Hundreds at Hainault vigil for ‘gentle’ 14-year-old

43 minutes agoAbout sharing

Hundreds attended a vigil in Daniel’s memory
By Catherine Evans & PA
BBC News

More than 300 people have attended a vigil to pay tribute to Daniel Anjorin, a teenager who was fatally stabbed with a sword while on his way to school.

The 14-year-old was attacked in Hainault, north-east London, on Tuesday morning.

On Sunday, mourners gathered metres away from where Daniel was killed, at Hainault Underground station car park, to pay their respects.

Daniel’s family was not present at the vigil.

Daniel’s family are being supported by specialist police officers

The family’s church, Jubilee Church London, also paid tribute to Daniel and his family at a service on Sunday.

Pastor Tope Koeoso told the congregation what had happened was “tragic and unimaginable”.

He said the family have been members of the church for more than 15 years and that Daniel was baptised there so “whatever touches them, touches us all”.

“This has hit all of us,” he said.

Pastor Tope Koeoso said the church had been supporting Daniel’s family all week

He added pastors had been supporting the family from the early moments of when the attack happened.

“One of the first people his brother called was the youth leader who immediately went to him to give emotional and spiritual support,” he said.

“I know the family would want to say thanks to the police for the sensitive way they’ve cared for the family and protected them,” he said, adding: “Although our hearts are heavy and the pain is deep, our faith is strong.”

At the vigil held earlier in the day in Hainault, Harris, a 17-year-old boy who knew Daniel, told the crowd: “He was a kid that was not in any type of trouble. I’m not just saying that.

“He never did anything wrong. He focused on school, he got good grades, he (went) to church.

“His family are appreciating all your support. They’ve noticed everything you guys are doing community-wise, fundraiser-wise, Arsenal as well. They’ve noticed it all.

“On their behalf, thank all of you.”

A teddy bear in an Arsenal football kit was laid at the vigil for Daniel

Arsenal, the football team Daniel supported, paid tribute to him during their Premier League game at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

During the match there was also a moment of applause in the 14th minute, with a banner reading “RIP Daniel” among the crowd.

Bouquets of flowers, handwritten notes, Arsenal FC memorabilia and teddies have been left at the bottom of Laing Close in Hainault, as well as a painting of Daniel.

A banner reading ‘RIP Daniel’ was held among the crowd at Arsenal’s football match against Bournemouth

A family friend said the number of floral tributes left showed the outpouring of support from the whole country.

Alistair Soyode said people had come from “near and far” to pay their respects and offer solidarity.

“The flowers that have been laid are not just coming from one section of the community,” he said.

“This is a full representation of what the United Kingdom is. Different people from different communities, nationalities, are showing their sympathies and prayers by laying flowers in this spot.”

The community was thanked on behalf of Daniel’s family

In a statement issued by the Met Police, his parent’s said: “We as a family are devastated by the loss of our beloved son Daniel.

“It is difficult for us at this time to process what has happened to him and that he will never come home. Daniel had left the house for school and then he was gone.

“Our children have lost their loving and precious brother and we have lost the most loved and amazing son.”

His school, Bancroft’s, in Woodford Green, said he was a “true scholar” who had a “positive nature and gentle character”.

In a statement, it described him as a “core member” of the community, adding: “Losing such a young pupil is something we will always struggle to come to terms with.”

Marcus Arduini Monzo, 36, from Newham, east London, has been charged with murdering Daniel.

He has also been charged with two counts of attempted murder, two counts of causing grievous bodily harm, aggravated burglary, and possession of a bladed article.

He was remanded in custody and will next appear in court at the Old Bailey on Tuesday.

Listen to the best of BBC Radio London on Sounds and follow BBC London on Facebook, X and Instagram. Send your story ideas to

1 day ago


Table of Contents

More Posts